Five Money Saving Air Conditioning Tips To Help You Keep Your Cool This Summer
Air Conditioning – A Sure Way To Keep Your Cool This Summer
Summer heat has once again come to central Texas. Is your cooling system ready? Air conditioning is not just a luxury here, it’s a necessity. Keeping cool, however, is becoming more and more expensive. Summers seem to begin earlier and last longer, creating more demand. Increased energy consumption stresses the power grid causing brown-outs and black-outs to occur more frequently. New regulations make power production more expensive resulting in higher prices for consumers. As utility costs continue to rise, the need for efficient air conditioning is more important than ever. Fortunately, there are some simple steps that can help you keep your cool this summer.
Five Budget-Friendly Tips To Reduce Your Air Conditioning Costs
According to the US Department of Energy, heating and cooling accounts for more than half of home energy consumption. The following suggestions can help you get the most bang for your air conditioning buck.
1. Schedule Annual Air Conditioner Inspection and Service. An inefficient air conditioner can significantly increase utility costs. Some service needs, like cleaning the filter, are an easy do-it-yourself project, but a thorough inspection and complete service is best left to a professional HVAC specialist. A regular, pre-season air conditioner inspection will reveal small problems before they become big ones and ensure worry-free summer air conditioning.
2. Complete A Home Energy Assessment. Be sure windows and doors seal tightly. Check attic insulation to ensure that it is in good condition and meets recommended depth guidelines. Inspect and clean all air filters and vents to ensure unrestricted air flow. Avoid using high wattage light bulbs and overhead can lighting during hot weather.
3. Install A Programmable Thermostat. If you don’t already have one, installing a programmable thermostat will enable you to set indoor temperatures to conform to your needs. Your air conditioner will operate more when you’re at home and less when you’re away, reducing wear and tear on your unit, saving energy and lowering utility costs.
4. Use Fans. Include fans in your cooling plan. Ceiling mounted and/or free-standing fans improve air circulation, which enhances cooling, reduces air conditioner run times and increases energy savings.
5. Cover Your Windows. Conduction, the transfer of heat through solid objects, is an often overlooked obstacle to maintaining comfortable indoor summer temperatures. Since window glass is highly conductive, covering your windows during the heat of the day will improve air conditioning efficiency and temperature stability by reducing heat transfer. Whether you choose indoor covers (shades, blinds, draperies) or outdoor enhancements (awnings, functional shutters), manually adjustable or mechanically operated, you’re sure to find a heat-blocking option that will compliment your décor and lower your air conditioning costs.
High Efficiency HVAC – A Cost Effective Air Conditioning Solution
If your air conditioning system needs to be retired, consider installing a two-stage, high-efficiency AC/Heat Pump system. The variable speed technology of this type of HVAC system is ideal for the central Texas climate. Once set, this eco-friendly method of air conditioning maintains indoor temperature by automatic adjustment of operational capacity in response to changes in outdoor weather conditions. This automatic adjustment maximizes fuel/power efficiency which, in turn, produces a consistent comfort level and reduces utility costs.
Whatever your air conditioning questions, Casa Mechanical has the answers. Our registered HVAC specialists have been providing top quality air conditioning service for the residents of Austin and surrounding communities for over ten years. Contact us today for more information on budget-friendly ways to improve air conditioning efficiency.